Dr. Dhanasekhar Kesavelu our chief at SS Child Care has more than 18 years of experience in treating children with simple or complex medical problems is a Consultant Paediatric Gastroenterologist at Apollo Children hospital Chennai and an Honorary tutor at School of Developmental and Reproductive medicine at University of Liverpool, UK. He has publications in his name at various national and international journals and his constant endeavour of research on various subjects of paediatric gut health is aimed at making the lives of Children better.
Publications & Research-including posters (Recent)
- A Serious concern of paediatric hospitalised patients in India (Abstract No.: 393), ESPGHAN,50th annual meeting, Prague, Czech Republic, May 2017.
- Nutritional status among hospitalized children in India (poster no 121) 5th World Congress of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (WCPGHAN 2016), Montreal, Canada,2016.
- Use of Parenteral nutrition in a children’s hospital in a developing country- A 5-year single centre experience (abstract 31011) 4th World Congress of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (WCPGHAN 2012), Taiwan 2012.
- Exclusie Enteral Nutrition in Crohn’s Disease-A prototype study in Indian Children (under review)International journal of health and allied sciences
- Probiotics are they what they are? (ongoing study on commercially availableprobiotics)
- Sensistivity and specificity of faecal calprotectin in paediatric IBD in Indian Children (ongoing research)
- Clinical profiling of Chicken based formula in a tertiary level childrens hospital (ongoing research)
Awards and travel grants
- ESPGHAN Travel fellowship to attend ESPGHAN summer school in Vietre Sul Mare, Italy April 2013;
- Fellowship to attend ‘Young Investigators Forum 2010’ at Schielrsee, Germany 15th-18th April 2010
- Secured 1st prize in ISPGHAN 2011 at Gurgaon, Delhi for poster presentation.
- Management of paediatric Crohns disease using Exclusive enteral nutrition sing Exclusive enteral nutrition in the Indian subcontinent
Journal of Emerging research Technologies and Innovative research (JETIR) (ISSN-2349-5162)
February 2019,Volume 6, Issue 2
Lekhasreedharan, Dhanasekhar Kesavelu and Anusuya Devi
- Fecal calprotectin as a screening marker for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- MAGIC APP
SiemieniukR, LytvynL, Kirpalani H, ShahrourM, AertgeertsB, BakelLA, ChurchP, FlorezID, KesaveluD, MerglenA, OkwunduC, Poh J, Sinha I, WeirS, XuB, GuyattGH, Johnston BC. Probiotics for children receiving antibiotics: a clinical practice guideline. MAGICapp (https://www.magicapp.org/app#/guideline/1455)
- Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938: Review of Evidence in Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
Ramesh Srinivasan, Dhanasekhar Kesavelu, Krishna Chaitanya Veligandla, Shashi Kanth Muni and Suyog C Mehta
Review Article: Pediatrics and Therapeutics 2018, 8: 350
- Common gastrointestinal distress among infants: Role of optimal nutritional interventions
Research article https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cegh.2017.07.003 Published online 24th July 2017-Clinical epidemiology and Global Health,Dhanasekhar Kesavelu et al.
- Malnutrition: a serious concern of paediatric hospitalized patients in India
JPGNVol. 64, Supplement 1, April 2017
- Case Report-Celiac disease- Celiac focus issue 3 April 2012
- Nestle nutrition newsletter issue Vol 1 No 2 July-September 2012
Management of Crohns Disease-Is treatment with exclusive peptide feeds the way forward in India?
- Abdominal distension in a 4-year-old
BMJ 2011; 343: d614 ‘End games- Kesavelu D1, Eaton V2, Dalzell M3
- Kesavelu D, ‘Diplomatosis’ – ‘Liverpool neurological infectious diseases course’BMJ-September 2009.
- Kesavelu D, Self assessment in ‘Paediatrics and child health’- March 2010-146-149.
- Kesavelu D, Dalzell AM-‘CMV and EBV infection in an immunocompetent child presenting as ascites and hypoalbuminaemia’ - ‘Reviews in infection’ March 2010.
- Kesavelu D, Srinivasan R, Dalzell M, Auth KMH-Varying predictive values dictate the need to standardise commercial kits for IgA tissue transglutaminase testing (tTg) testing
‘Acta Paediatrica’, Volume 96, Issue Supplement s456,pages 246–259, October 2008.
- Co-authored the book “Bedside pediatric gastroenterology and hepatology for the paediatrician” (with Dr Yogesh Waikar)
A Note from the doctor about his vision
I would like to see myself as a consultant actively involved in teaching. I strongly believe in passing the skills I have acquired in my career to young and aspiring paediatricians and to those considering a career in the same. I find Paediatric Gastroenterology fascinating as it has a good balance of clinical and ‘hands on’ paediatrics, I have achieved these skills by training in one of the reputable European centres in paediatric gastroenterology, Alder hey children’s hospital, Liverpool and Sheffield Children’s hospital.